Sunday, July 8, 2007

Living Simply

Ok, now I know that I am far from living out my ideals here, but at least I have come to the realization that my goals in this life, are dramatically different from what the media and advertising companies would want them to be. Basically, it is the goal to live simply.

In America's culture of consumerism (a trait found almost everywhere else in the developed world as well), we are told from a very young age to strive to achieve our dreams, and to make something of ourselves. It's pretty much taken for granted that our dreams and goals include being famous and rich. From our parent's generation we have learned the morals about working hard to provide for your family. But at what point are you no longer providing for your family, but spoiling them? Why do we think that being famous will make us happy? It doesn't seem to work for the people in Hollywood. Will being rich make us happier?

Yes.

Statistic show that rich people, are on average, more happy and content with their life than poor people or those with average wealth. Makes sense doesn't it? But doesn't this evidence seem to argue against my point? I doubt it. I'm sure that most of these people without wealth in these studies are not people purposefully living simply, but rather those who are trying to become wealthy, but failing. Big difference.

So why should we want to live simply? Most of all, it would not be for our benefit, but for other's. Assuming that you hold the same type of job, but just spend a lot less money, that means that you can use more of that money to help people not as well off as you. Secondly, all that consumerism that you are not participating in is really helping the environment. From the smaller house, to the packaging not used, to the labor and materials not spent on frivolous expenditures means that that energy is not being wasted.

But there is also an attraction to the lifestyle. Not living to the limit of your means will do wonders for your stress level. If you have a difficult month, no sweat, you have plenty of money to cover it. Emergencies won't have to put financial pressure on top of your list of things to worry about, and you will probably be much more generous when charities come around, which means you will be helping both the poor, and your community. Something much more important than having the latest iPod.

I am hoping that in this generation, value will be found in information, community, and experience; more than in materialism and status. Computers tend to level the playing field when it comes to what people can do, so maybe that will make a difference. Perhaps our parent's generation succeeded in providing for us so well, that we don't need to have any fear of the want of necessities that haunted our grandparent's generation. Perhaps we could rise above the hoarding instinct that is necessary for survival in a world without enough resources for everybody. But i think technology has brought us above that level. Can society catch up with it?

3 comments:

Dusty Shultz said...

so Mr Holcomb. How are you living simply, or what is your next step to living simply?

Optimistic Chad said...

man, I am tracking with you. I find it hard to implement in my own life. I have already built up significant debt just trying to get by so it always seems I am behind the eight-ball. I look forward to paying off my loans, including mortgage, and then fixing my income and being intentionally helpful with the rest. Looooooong way to go.

Spartacus said...

I think my most practical step is to stay living in a small place, even if our salary's go up. Christin and I have talked about not moving into a bigger place than the 1,000 S.F. place that we got, unless we had kids, and even then, only when they got a bit older.

I think another good practical step is not to buy new cars, but buy them when they are a few years old.